History of Trichy
As a matter of fact, the capital city of Chola dynasty (one of the longest-ruling dynasties in the history of southern India) dated back to 300 BC was “Woraiyur or Urayur” which is a part of contemporary Tiruchirappalli district.
Establishment of Historic Rock Fort
Trichy was a part of Vijayanagar Empire after the rule of Mughals. Trichy was the capital during the rule of Madurai Nayak Kingdom from 1616 to 1634 and from 1665 to 1736. The period of 1736 marks the region of Tiruchirappalli captivated by Chanda Sahib. He dominated the land starting from 1736 to 1741. The region was then administrated by the Maratha general Murari Rao from 1741 to 1743. Following the subsequent reign of various kingdoms it was British who finally took control of the region during the year 1801.
British Rule in Trichy
Historic Timeline of Trichy
- 260 BC - Trichy came under the dominance of early Cholas
- 300 BC - Woraiyur, the capital city of Cholas.
- 200 AD - Karikala Chola built the dam “Kalanai” or Grand Anicut
- 300 AD -575 A.D - Ruled by Cholas
- 590 AD - Ruled by Mahendra Varma Pallava I
- 1300 AD - Dominance of medieval Cholas came to an end
- 1216 - Pandyas dominance surfaced in Trichy
- 1311 - 1378 - The region came under the reign of Delhi and Madras sultanates
- 1616 - 1634 - The region served as capital of the Madurai Nayak kingdom
- 1741 - 1743 - Trichy was administered by the Maratha general Murari Rao
- 1751 - Chanda Sahib sets Trichy as his base
- 1753 and 1780 - Trichy was invaded by Nanjaraja and Hyder Ali
- 1801 - British East India Company created the district of “Trichinopoly” and Tiruchi city was made its capital
- 1859 - First railway line connecting Trichy and Nagapattinam
- 1866 - The municipality of “Trichinopoly” was created
- 1869 - Trichinpoly Club or Trichy Club was established in Trichy Cantonment
- 1871- Srirangam Municipality founded
- 1871- Census revealed that Trichy to be the second largest city in Madras Presidency
- 1875 - Prince of Wales visited Lord Ranganathaswamy Temple, Srirangam
- 1877 - Election to council introduced
- 1889 - First Chairman elected
- 1905 - Weekly newspaper Wednesday Review published from Trichy
- 1923 - Holy Cross College for Women established
- 1928 - Golden Rock Locomotives Workshop established by the South Indian Railway Company
- 1938 - Trichy Airport handles air traffic.
- 1939 - First radio transmission by All India Radio (AIR) in Tircuhirappalli
- 1944- The South Indian Railway Company taken over by Government of India.
- 1947- India got independence from British rule
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 2